A Laser Level is device which we use to project a laser light (a beam of narrow light) on surface of horizontal or vertical plane while transferring a specific level from one place to another. When we are required to fit ‘picture rails’ to the wall, we use Laser level.
This device projects light (of green or red color) in plane about horizontal or vertical axis.
A laser level is widely used in construction and surveying works. It is used in grading, drainage, leveling ground, moving objects and other construction related works. Here we are going to describe methods for How to Use a Laser Level. A few terms are repeatedly used in this articles, have a look at them.
Table of Contents
- Basic Laser Level Information:
- How to Choose a Laser level:
- How to Use a Laser level:
- How to use a rotary laser level:
Basic Laser Level Information:
It is a plastic stand with three legs. A tripod is used to hold device like camera, mobile phone and mice to keep it stable at specified height. You can adjust it at specific height and angle.
Before buying a laser level, you should confirm that either it is self-leveling model or not. A laser level of self-leveling model requires some time to level itself. A self leveling laser level is far better than manual one. Electric self leveling term is used for a laser level which levels it automatically.
If you laser level don’t have self-leveling feature, you have to adjust it manually. In case of manual setup, you have to adjust it your self. You will see level on Bubble Vial of laser level & you can adjust this level using screws present near bubble vial. You have to adjust it until bubble vial reaches to the center laser level.
Manual level is not much accurate as compared with self-leveled laser level. I recommend you to visit YouTube for further guideline for manual level adjustment.
Measuring Rod/Grade Rod:
Measuring rod or grade rod is a measuring instrument used to find difference in elevation. Grade rod is just like a rod or stick having measuring digits on it. These digits give the value of height at which it interrupted laser level’s beam.
It is mostly used for outdoor works. It is used to detect laser beam. Laser detector is also known as laser receiver as it receives beam from laser level. It gives a Beep on successful connection with laser level.
How to Choose a Laser level:
Before buying a laser level you should know the reason for which you are going to buy it. You should know that what type of work you have to take from it. Here are a few points that you should keep in your mind while buying a laser level.
- For Indoor project, multiple line lasers are preferred for aligning kitchen cabinets and other related works. However Square Laser is recommended to observe masonry E.g. bricks, stone and other material used to build wall.
- For Outdoor project, rotary laser level is a perfect solution. Being most advanced laser level, it gives 3d output.
- Also compare the money that you are going to spend with accuracy of that laser level. A laser level with accuracy of 1/10th inch per 100 feet is considered as a best laser level. A laser level with self-leveling feature gives more accurate result if compared with a laser level having manual leveling option.
- Rotation per minute (RPM) also matters as a laser level with low RPM has bright but short range light which is easy to distinguish. On the other hand, a laser light with high RPM has long range light but it is quite difficult to distinguish as its light is faint.
- Don’t forget to check whether laser level that you are going to buy is self-leveled or manual leveled. I personally prefer self-leveled laser level as it can level itself automatically and has accuracy three times more than that of manual leveling.
- Type of wall also matters as you can use easily use pin lasers for walls with bricks, stone or other solid material. But avoid from using such laser levels in case of walls with paneling (a wall cover constructed from rigid particles e.g. plastic).
- Last but not least point to keep in mind while choosing a laser level is ‘whether it has red light or green light?’ Green light is mostly used for indoor works as it is easy to observe. However red light is used for outdoor projects because it can easily detected by laser receiver or laser detector. This color difference is due to difference in wavelength.
How to Use a Laser level:
Method of using a simple Laser is listed below.
- First of all we have to set up on Tripod or surface. Tripod is used to take laser level as maximum height.
- Turn the laser level ‘ON’. If you are using a laser level with self-leveling model, it will be self leveled automatically. Otherwise you have to adjust it by using screws near bubble vial.
- Laser level will release/emit a laser showing level on wall or any other medium.
- In a case when there is no medium to show projected laser, a laser detector is used. (Laser detector is device used to find distance of object present within laser range. It is mostly used by traffic enforcement to find speed of object).
- For this purpose, you have to connect laser detector to measuring rod. You have to adjust the detector and have to fix it.
How to use a laser level for Grading:
Grading is the work of ensuring level base for a construction work. A term Proper Grading is used for a process is helpful in restricting water flow toward your project site. Grading process is also used to improve drainage of your existing building or house. A rotary laser level, tripod, measuring rod and a laser detector is required for grading.
- Set up a laser level on tripod.
- Turn ‘ON’ the laser level. Wait for some time so that laser level is self-leveled. But if you are not using laser level self-leveling model, a manual leveling will be required. You can do this by adjusting screws.
- Now place measuring or grade rod at your desired height.
- Adjust the ‘Laser detector’ by moving up and down until you hear a beep from it.
- Use laser detector to detect laser beam.
- Move the measuring rod at different positions on ground to check whether it is above or below the desired point.
How to Use a Laser level for Drainage:
Drainage is the process of removing surface water artificially. This method is used in area with excess of water. It can also be used to remove water from sub-surface. This method is used to keep you house safe from water and restrict the water to flow around your property. Here is the method of using a laser level for drainage given below.
- Set up the laser level on tripod and place it on flat surface.
- Turn the laser level ‘ON’.
- If laser level model is self-leveling, it will take some time to self-level itself. While if model don’t support self-leveling, you have to adjust screws for manual leveling.
- Now place measuring rod at desired height.
- Don’t forget to mark drainage projects boundary with stakes e.g. wooden stakes.
- Now take readings using laser level. You have to make necessary changes for establishment the direction and inclination of your project.
- You can cut or fill area depending on above measurements and may require a laser level with slop for this.
How to Use a Laser level for Outdoors:
A laser level can also be used for outdoor works. The main problem while using it outside is that laser beam is too faint to be seen by naked eyes. To use a laser level outdoor, you are required to use tinted glasses or goggle as it is difficult to observe light with naked eyes. You will find tinted glasses with laser level kit. As you cannot place laser level on bumpy ground, you have to use tripod for this purpose.
Laser receiver also required to be at fix position. You can use another tripod for this. Here is the method of using a laser level for outdoor work given below.
- Place the laser level on tripod. You don’t need to use tripod if you have flat ground or any similar surface.
- Now turn the laser level ‘ON’. Wait for a moment until it is leveled. If you are not using laser level with self-leveling, just level it manually by adjusting screws. You will find these screws near bubble vial.
- Aim the laser level to find area for reading or the area of which you want to take reading and lock the position on tripod after finding the target.
- Move ‘laser receiver’ to targeted position, the position of which you want to take reading.
- Use another tripod to set up ‘laser receiver’ on it. You can simply place at anything using magnet bar if you don’t want to use second tripod.
- Move the receiver slowly until it catches the beam emitting from laser level. Now lock the position on tripod.
How to Use a Laser level to Level Ground:
Leveling a ground is the most important part of construction. Whenever a ground is selected for project, it is first leveled. Mostly we use rotary laser for this purpose. Before starting you must sure that you have a laser level, tripod, grade rod and laser detector. However laser detector is not compulsory for indoor work. So here we go.
- First of all, Place the laser level on tripod.
- Turn the laser level ‘ON’.
- Wait for a moment until it is self leveled or go through manual leveling option.
- Target any point on ground.
- Place the measuring rod at that point after adjusting it with ‘laser detector’. Make sure that bottom of measuring rod is touching that point of surface.
- Now adjust the rod by moving it up and down until you hear ‘Beep’ from it, then tight the laser detector with it.
- Find the actual height on detector at which laser is interrupted. Mark that point.
- Repeat this again and again by changing targeted positions. If all the positions are giving same measurement, it means ground is leveled.
How to use a rotary laser level:
Rotary laser level is the most advanced laser level. It spins beam of light faster than any other, due to which it gives 360 degree display. Dual slope is used in rotary laser level which makes it 3d. It projects light both on X-axis and Y-axis. Rotary laser has accuracy ranges from 1/16th to 1/8th part of an inch per 100 to 50 feet. You can use this device by following my steps.
- Set up rotary laser level on tripod or flat surface.
- Place the laser level on targeted surface and turn it on.
- It will be leveled automatically if device has self leveling model otherwise manual leveling will be required.
- Use a laser receiver to observe beam.
- Same like above methods, you have to wait for a beep from receiver insuring that it is connected with laser.
- Now aim the rotary level at any surface.
Though all laser levels have different methods to use but these methods aren’t much differ from each other. If you already know How to Use a Laser Level, you don’t need to be panic while thinking about above methods.
Keep in mind that laser level kit also includes a tripod, grade rod, laser receiver and tinted glasses. Without these particles, it is difficult for you to use laser level. If you didn’t found any of particles, don’t forget to buy from market. If you any query, feel free to contact us. We are here to help and satisfy you.